Wednesday 8 February 2017

Saix animation storyboard

This is the storyboard for the animation of Saix I will make.












Comments about the story

According to my tutor, I had to find a "movie quote" which Saix is going to say.
I had the option to make something very different from his personality, which could be very "interesting". However, the appearance of the character is very serious, also he is not very famous so the audience should not know about his personality and understand the joke of him being positive.
So, I decided to find something according to his character.
Because he has not have a heart, I wanted to do something with it. So, I chose the film "Dragonheart (1996)" "directed by" "Rob Cohen" (www.rottentomatoes.com). I watched a part of the film and found the point when the dragon gives his heart to the boy and says: "That's my heart to make you whole. Its strength to purify your weakness. Live, and remember your oath." (www.youtube.com) (www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk).
My purpose was to create an irony, as Saix does not have a heart, also to create a drama through that. However, I did not want to make him give his heart. which would be the same as the story.
I used Youtube Online Converter to download the movie as an MP3 and used Adobe After Effects to cut the parts that I did not need.
Because in the quote says: "That's my heart", Saix should either show it or give it. He could not show anything to anybody. I made him seeing an image shown by a psychologist and make a metaphor for his heart. This is the empty box.
The story begins with a paper with his name and the Diagnosis and Treatment blank. I got inspired by the Torn Pages in Kingdom Hearts game series, which are pages taken out of a book and the player has to find them. Saix watches an image of a full box but does not say anything. As he sees the empty box he starts saying the quote. The part "to make you whole" and "its strength to purify your weakness"is about the completion of the parts on the paper by the doctor. The part "live" is for the doctor to do something about it and the part "and remember your oath" is for the doctor to find a treament for him, similar with the healing of the film. In the end, the Diagnosis is "Absence of Heart" and the Treatment is left blank with a dash. Saix is sad after that.
In my opinion the story does not match with the concept of the film perfectly. Especially the parts "Its strength to purify your weakness" and "Live". However, the whole story is somehow efficient as it is based on the healing part of the film.

Comments about the storyboard

I wrote the script under each of the frames. The ones which depict the words written, the empty box and the Saix who is sad are very effective, because they portray what is happening very well. The frame of the full box is not very successful, as it is not very obvious what is shows. The facial expressions are efficient, but the movements of the arms and hands maybe are not very well portrayed. The duration of each frame is based on the audio, approximately, which will help with the creation of the animatic.
In my opinion this part of the pipeline is crucial, because the story is the most important element for the animation, also the duration of the storyboard frames will help with the animatic.

References:

"Dragonheart" film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPgP3AIpr2M

"Dragonheart" "script": http://www.springfieldspringfield.co.uk/movie_script.php?movie=dragonheart

Information about the film: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/dragonheart

"Youtube Converter": https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/video-converter

No comments:

Post a Comment